Attorney Michael Barasch Quoted in Wall Street Journal Article about 9/11 Compensation Fund
On April 8th, the Wall Street Journal published an article titled “Fund to Give More Than $1 Billion to Ailing Sept. 11 Workers.” In the article, writer Derek Kravitz discusses the congressional fund that was created to compensate first responders and workers who have suffered health complications due to inhaling toxic substances during the September 11th relief effort. The $2.8 billion fund was created in January 2011 with the expectation of compensating approximately 34,000 people. So far, 10,549 have been approved, with more coming forward all the time.
Attorney Michael Barasch of Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson was interviewed for the article:
Many victims are only now coming forward with health claims, which could exhaust the fund in future years, said Michael Barasch, managing partner of New York-based Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson, which represents roughly 1,000 Sept. 11 first responders and workers with cancer diagnoses.
“We could hit 20,000 claims and there won’t be enough money for everyone,” Mr. Barasch said. “I get calls every week from people, mostly young men, saying their asthma has turned into lung cancer.”
Mr. Barasch has more than 20 years of experience handling complicated personal injury and medical malpractice claims, with a special focus on helping people harmed after September 11th. Along with the experienced and dedicated team of legal professionals at Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson, we fight for compensation for injury victims and their families throughout New York City. To schedule a free initial consultation, call 888.351.9421 or contact us online today.