Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) Award Determinations
VCF Award Determinations
Victim Compensation Fund Special Master Sheila Birnbaum submitted her Fourth Annual Status Report in February, 2016. She reported that as of December 31, 2015, shortly after Congress reauthorized the Zadroga Act, the VCF had made 7,730 compensation determinations in the amount of $1.8 billion, an average of approximately $230,000 per claimant. Thankfully, now that Congress has fully funded the Zadroga VCF, claimants will receive their full awards.
The following are some of the hundreds of awards that the Victim Compensation Fund has awarded our clients with certified WTC-cancers. Please note that for certified cancers, the VCF awards between $100,000 and $250,000 for non-economic loss (pain and suffering) while the balance is for economic loss (lost income as a result of an individual’s specific loss of his/her career). No two claimants are identical. The economic loss awards are based on a claimant’s age, work history and prior income. If the claimant has been found disabled for 9/11 certified physical illnesses (not psychological illnesses nor unrelated injuries) by an independent entity (such as the FNDY, NYCERS, Workers Compensation or the Social Security Administration), he/she is treated differently than someone who hasn’t been found permanently and totally disabled. Moreover, if a claimant has been awarded a disability pension, social security disability award, and/or a prior litigation award, their net VCF award will be reduced.
The awards are evidence that the VCF is making fair awards on a case-by case basis and doing its best to provide each claimant with economic security. The following are some recent award determinations by the Victim Compensation Fund, for both cancers and other WTC-related illnesses that were certified for compensation:
Victim Compensation Fund Cancer Awards:
- $3,700,651.89 Acute Lymphoid Leukemia; Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- $2,811,150.81 Malignant Neoplasm of skin site
- $2,114,559.09 Multiple Myeloma
- $1,934,316.82 Malignant Neoplasm Of Nasopharynx; Malignant Neoplasm Lip &Oral Cavity
- $1,812,981.63 Malignant Neoplasm of Bladder
- $1,714,581.73 Malignant Neoplasm of Pancreas; and Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Skin
- $1,708,479.47 Malignant Neoplasm of Thyroid Gland
- $1,584,470.92 Malignant Neoplasm of Thyroid Gland
- $1,576,194.11 Leukemia;
- $1,536,922.86 Leukemia
- $1,515,396.00 Malignant Neoplasm of pancreas
- $1,401,164.49 Reticulosarcoma
- $1,324,207.00 Malignant Neoplasm of Prostate
- $1,287,487.96 Malignant Neoplasm of Prostate; Melanoma of Skin
- $1,245,529.60 Leukemia
- $1,192,644.09 Myeloid Leukemia
- $1,170,183.00 Malignant Neoplasm of Breast
- $1,160,718.36 Multiple Mylema
- $1,139,652.61 Malignant Neoplasm of Female Breast
- $1,132,662.56 Malignant Neoplasm Female Breast
- $1,122,232.25 Melanoma of Skin
- $1,098,631.35 Malignant Neoplasm of Thyroid Gland
- $1,094,330.62 Melanoma of Skin
- $1,041,794.98 Lymphosarcome and reticulosarcoma
Deadline Extended to Register for Compensation
There is still time to apply for significant compensation if you have been diagnosed with any of the 68 cancers that doctors at the WTC Health Program (WTCHP) have linked to the WTC toxic dust. The deadline to apply to the Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) is 2 years from the date that a cancer has been certified by the WTC Health Program —or any other governmental agency. The 2 year period to register doesn’t start on the day of a cancer diagnosis. Rather, it starts only when a cancer survivor is made aware their cancer was linked to exposure to the WTC toxins.
For those who died from their WTC-linked cancers, the 2 year period to register starts on the day of their death.
Please help spread the word about the strict 2 year deadline to register a claim.
Many people have tried to complete the VCF application on their own, only to learn that it requires answers to hundreds of questions and many documents to download. It would be our pleasure to help you complete the process in order to ensure that you receive the compensation that you are entitled to. Please call us for a free consultation.