Search Site
Am I Waiving My Right to Participate in Future Lawsuits if I Register With the VCF? Do I Waive My Rights in the Future if I Am Awarded Compensation From the VCF?

Registering for the VCF does not require you to waive any rights, and we encourage anybody who was below Canal Street on or after 9/11 to do that now, whether or not they are sick. It’s quick and easy to do. Just go to and click on the menu item that says “Register.” From there, fill in the requested info and you’re done! Or call us and we will gladly do it for you. We encourage everyone to do this now to protect their future legal rights.

Filing a claim is a little different. VCF claimants waive their right to be a part of any civil lawsuits in state or federal court that are related to the events of September 11th. VCF claimants waive their right to sue the federal government and the City of New York, the airlines, the buildings where they worked, etc. That’s because the fund was established to be an expedited means of getting compensation to victims, intending to spare everybody the time and legal expense involved in filing multiple lawsuits. The VCF is an alternative to earlier litigation.

One of the benefits of the VCF, as opposed to regular tort litigation, is that claimants do not waive their future rights to amend their claims should they be diagnosed with a new illness in the future. For instance, if someone is awarded $20,000 for a non-life threatening respiratory illness, or $90,000 for a non-life threatening skin cancer, they will be able to amend their claim if, God forbid, they are diagnosed with a serious cancer in the future. The VCF generally awards $250,000 for life-threatening cancers. Also, if and when a VCF claimant dies from a WTC-linked illness, the claimant’s family is entitled to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of the deceased claimant’s Estate, no matter how much the claimant was awarded for pain and suffering.

Claimants with the VCF do NOT waive any rights to participate in JASTA lawsuits (Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act), which are generally filed against other nations that supported or financed terrorist actions. Any compensation you receive as a result of one of those suits, however, either from a court or a settlement, is treated as an offset and deducted from your VCF award.

Whether or not you participated in any early 9/11-related lawsuits, filing with the VCF is the best way to get the settlement you deserve. If you’d like to talk through why or learn more about your options, give our office a call.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Compensation available to residents and office workers, teachers and students – not just responders and volunteers
Our Attorneys
  • "Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson handled everything professionally and with patience. They always had time to answer all my questions and did what they promised. Thanks esp to Brian Calamaris Lee London, and Mariya Atanasova. Thank you." - William Collins, FDNY

  • "If I could give them six stars I would...don't even bother talking to anyone else concerning 9/11. The whole team worked night and day to deliver an outstanding settlement. They are honest, hard working and extremely professional. Just make the one phone call and let them do the rest." - Les Margulis, resident in the exposure zone

  • "I had a very good experience with Michael and Mariya. They made the process stress free. I would recommend this firm to anyone seeking assistance with 9/11 related illnesses." - JE Kirwan, worked in the exposure zone

  • "The people at this firm were just great. They were concern with making sure I was taken care of in every way possible. When I was given an award Mr. Barasch didn't think it was a fair amount and appealed the decision which got me a larger award. I am very satisfied with everything they did for me in the past and are willing to do for me and my family in the future." - Bob Wiecezak, FDNY-Retired

  • "Excellent law firm. Lee London and his staff were very responsive and always followed up with phone calls or emails. This firm is a strong example of what caring and personable lawyers are all about." - Letitia Egan, wife of client, volunteer in the exposure zone

  • Deadline Extended to Register for Compensation

    There is still time to apply for significant compensation if you have been diagnosed with any of the 68 cancers that doctors at the WTC Health Program (WTCHP) have linked to the WTC toxic dust. The deadline to apply to the Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) is two years from the date that a cancer has been certified by the WTC Health Program — or any other governmental agency. The two-year period to register doesn’t start on the day of a cancer diagnosis. Rather, it starts only when a cancer survivor is made aware their cancer was linked to exposure to the WTC toxins.

    For those who died from their WTC-linked cancers, the two-year period for their family to register starts on the day of the death of the WTC victim.

    Register For Compensation

Please help spread the word about the strict two-year deadline to register a claim

Many people have tried to complete the VCF application on their own, only to learn that it requires answers to hundreds of questions and many documents to download. It would be our pleasure to help you complete the process in order to ensure that you receive the compensation that you are entitled to. Please call us for a free consultation.

Let a knowledgeable attorney help you figure it out

A cancer diagnosis can be terrifying. You undoubtedly have questions about your disease and how you will pay for treatment. Lawyers at Barasch & McGarry ensure you understand the complex requirements and help devise the best strategies for obtaining compensation and appropriate medical care under the Zadroga Act. Contact our law firm online or call 888-351-9421. The initial consultation is free, so it costs you nothing to find out whether a lawyer can help.
  • Barasch & McGarry Personal Injury Websites

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter

  • Contact Us

    Fill out the form below with any questions or info on how to get your free consultation

    Quick Contact Form