Skip to content

WTC Health ProgramHealth ProgramsVictim Compensation Fund

BREAKING NEWS: VCF Requires Claimants to Enroll in the WTC Health Program

August 14, 2017 | Michael Barasch

The Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) has changed its regulations for eligibility. While there are a few exceptions, it is now a requirement that all claimants have their WTC-linked illnesses certified through World Trade Center Health Program (WTCHP).

Getting certified by the WTCHP has always been the fastest way to have the VCF find your conditions eligible for compensation, but now it is mandatory, even if we have already started the Private Physician process. If you haven’t already been certified for a WTC illness, Barasch McGarry is happy to assist you through your WTCHP enrollment process. We will help you get certified for your 9/11-related conditions so that you can get the compensation that you deserve.

What is the WTCHP and why should I get certified?

When Congress passed the 9/11 Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, it created both the World Trade Center Health Program and the VCF. The WTCHP is intended to treat and monitor responders, volunteers, local residents, office workers, teachers and students. In short, anyone who was exposed to the toxic WTC dust, either on 9/11 or during the following 8 months, is eligible for this medical program. Fortunately, there are clinical centers located throughout the United States. The certification process is free and the program offers benefits that may not be covered by your private health insurance. Furthermore, having your conditions certified is the best way to show the VCF that your injuries were caused by your 9/11 exposure.

What if I am already being treated for my WTC illnesses with a private doctor?

If you like your current doctor, then stick with your MD! It is not necessary that you treat with a doctor from the health program. However, in order to get compensation from the VCF, you must enroll in the program and have your conditions certified.

How do I enroll in the WTCHP?

It’s actually very easy and we are here to help. First you must request an application. Either call their national helpline at (888) 982-4748, or download it by visiting the program’s website: Then, fill out the application and provide some evidence that you were exposed to the WTC toxins, and indicate approximately when and for how long. Upon approval, you will be assigned to a clinical center convenient to where you live. When you go for your appointment, bring your private medical records with you and ask them to certify your illnesses.

Again, our firm is happy to help you through the enrollment process. If you have any questions, please call us at 212-385-8000.

What do I do if it’s impossible for me to get to a WTCHP clinic? Can the VCF find me eligible based on my private medical records?

For people who live too far from a clinic, or are too ill to travel to one to get certified, our office can request an exception on your behalf. Please call us if you need us to arrange this.

Barasch & McGarry helps set things right

At Barasch & McGarry, we provide hope. Please contact us online or call 888.351.9421 to discuss your case with a lawyer who understands your situation and the law.

Trust us to help. You have nothing to risk and so much to gain. We offer free initial consultations and do not charge you anything until you receive a settlement from the Victim Compensation Fund. Our fees never exceed 10 percent of your settlement.

We assist injured clients from all over the country, including retired FDNY members and NYPD officers who have since moved away from New York. If you do not live near New York City or are unable to travel, we arrange your first, free consultation by telephone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required

Leave a comment

  • Share this article

  • Newsletter

    Stay updated on breaking 9/11 news
    Subscribe Now

Home Live Chat

Photo of Michael Barasch.
Online Now

Hi, we are here to help if you have questions.