WTC Health Program • Victim Compensation Fund
If I Was a Resident Below Canal Street, What Should My Affidavits Say?
Filling out an affidavit to support a residency claim for the NYC Exposure Zone is similar to filling one out for any other purpose, but these affidavits should include a couple of extra facts:
- Your exact address during the time you were living in the area.
- The specific time period that you lived at that address (if known by the affiant).
- A statement describing whether the affiant knows if you actually resided at that address for some period between September 11, 2001, and May 30, 2002, and whether the affiant is aware of any time during that period that you were out of town or not living at that address.
All affidavits, no matter who they are for and why the person is eligible, should include as detailed as possible an account of:
- How the affiant knows that you were physically present in the area between September 11, 2001, and May 30, 2002.
- The specific dates and times when the affiant knew you were there.
- What you and the affiant were doing in the NYC Exposure Zone.
- The specific location(s) where you and the affiant were at the time, including the specific address, intersection, building, or other geographic details. As a general rule, more is needed than just “Ground Zero.”
- Why the affiant was in the area, how long and often you and the affiant were there together, and how the affiant knows and remembers that you were present on the particular dates and at the particular locations referenced in the affidavit.
Again, affidavits do NOT need to be notarized if they include the following language:
“I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date affidavit is signed]. [Affiant’s Signature]”
We recommend getting affidavits filled out even if you are not sick now to speed the process up should you need to file for compensation later. Our office can provide you with a simple form to give to your affiants.
You are welcome to download an affidavit at Proof of Presence Affidavit.
Leave a comment