Search Site
VCF Claims on Behalf of Minor Children

Tragically, many children were victims of the World Trade Center collapse, Pentagon attack and plane crash at Shanksville. Some lost parents either during the attacks or in later years as a result of 9/11-related diseases. Others who lived or attended school in lower Manhattan sustained physical injuries or illnesses. In fact, children exposed to the dust cloud may have recently been diagnosed with childhood cancers, a devastating prospect.

Parents and guardians should take action to protect their children’s rights to Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) awards under the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010.

Registering your child for the VCF is similar to registering an adult, except that you are responsible for properly filing the appropriate forms and evidence on behalf of your minor child. Your child’s doctor can certify that her or his medical condition is 9/11-related. These documents may help prove your child was present during the 9/11 attacks:

  • Lease or mortgage on your apartment near Ground Zero
  • Enrollment in school or daycare located in the designated area of lower Manhattan
  • Report card, attendance sheet or other records from child’s school or daycare
  • Visitation agreement showing you had custody of your child on September 11

If the child lost a parent, you should prepare certain documents, including the following:

  • The parent’s last will and testament that lists the child as heir
  • The child’s birth certificate to prove the relationship, especially if there is no will
  • The parent’s tax return that names the child as a dependent in lieu of the birth certificate

The VCF may issue payments to one of these responsible people on behalf of a minor child:

  • Personal representative — The entire amount is paid directly to the personal representative, who remains under court supervision to safeguard the child’s portion of the money.
  • Minor child directly — The court appoints a guardian — who may be the biological or adoptive parent or another person — to accept the payment on the child’s behalf.
  • Representative payee — As the natural or adoptive parent, you may ask to be designated representative payee, which allows you to accept the payment directly to be used for your child’s current needs or saved for your child’s future interests.

Barasch & McGarry can help you take steps to protect your child’s best interests throughout the VCF claim process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Compensation available to residents and office workers, teachers and students – not just responders and volunteers
Our Attorneys
  • "Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson handled everything professionally and with patience. They always had time to answer all my questions and did what they promised. Thanks esp to Brian Calamaris Lee London, and Mariya Atanasova. Thank you." - William Collins, FDNY

  • "If I could give them six stars I would...don't even bother talking to anyone else concerning 9/11. The whole team worked night and day to deliver an outstanding settlement. They are honest, hard working and extremely professional. Just make the one phone call and let them do the rest." - Les Margulis, resident in the exposure zone

  • "I had a very good experience with Michael and Mariya. They made the process stress free. I would recommend this firm to anyone seeking assistance with 9/11 related illnesses." - JE Kirwan, worked in the exposure zone

  • "The people at this firm were just great. They were concern with making sure I was taken care of in every way possible. When I was given an award Mr. Barasch didn't think it was a fair amount and appealed the decision which got me a larger award. I am very satisfied with everything they did for me in the past and are willing to do for me and my family in the future." - Bob Wiecezak, FDNY-Retired

  • "Excellent law firm. Lee London and his staff were very responsive and always followed up with phone calls or emails. This firm is a strong example of what caring and personable lawyers are all about." - Letitia Egan, wife of client, volunteer in the exposure zone

  • Deadline Extended to Register for Compensation

    There is still time to apply for significant compensation if you have been diagnosed with any of the 68 cancers that doctors at the WTC Health Program (WTCHP) have linked to the WTC toxic dust. The deadline to apply to the Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) is two years from the date that a cancer has been certified by the WTC Health Program — or any other governmental agency. The two-year period to register doesn’t start on the day of a cancer diagnosis. Rather, it starts only when a cancer survivor is made aware their cancer was linked to exposure to the WTC toxins.

    For those who died from their WTC-linked cancers, the two-year period for their family to register starts on the day of the death of the WTC victim.

    Register For Compensation

Please help spread the word about the strict two-year deadline to register a claim

Many people have tried to complete the VCF application on their own, only to learn that it requires answers to hundreds of questions and many documents to download. It would be our pleasure to help you complete the process in order to ensure that you receive the compensation that you are entitled to. Please call us for a free consultation.

Let a knowledgeable attorney help you figure it out

A cancer diagnosis can be terrifying. You undoubtedly have questions about your disease and how you will pay for treatment. Lawyers at Barasch & McGarry ensure you understand the complex requirements and help devise the best strategies for obtaining compensation and appropriate medical care under the Zadroga Act. Contact our law firm online or call 888-351-9421. The initial consultation is free, so it costs you nothing to find out whether a lawyer can help.
  • Barasch & McGarry Personal Injury Websites

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter

  • Contact Us

    Fill out the form below with any questions or info on how to get your free consultation

    Quick Contact Form