Skip to content

Victim Compensation Fund

Do I Need to Prove I Lost Income or Property In Order to Qualify for a VCF Award?

June 11, 2020 | Lila Nordstrom

No, absolutely not. The VCF does not premise their award amounts solely on financial losses. Anybody with a physical health certification from the WTC Health Program and/or medical proof that they suffer from a condition the federal government has linked to 9/11 can qualify for an award for “pain and suffering”, also known as “non-economic loss.” That is true whether or not the health condition they’re suffering from has led to loss of income or other financial losses.

Non-economic loss awards vary depending on the seriousness of the condition but generally range from $10,000-$90,000 for less serious conditions and up to $250,000 for most cancers and wrongful deaths.

Either way, simply being sick with a 9/11-related illness that has been certified by the World Trade Center Health Program is generally enough to qualify claimants for some level of award, as long as they meet the program’s other criteria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required

Leave a comment

  • Share this article

  • Newsletter

    Stay updated on breaking 9/11 news
    Subscribe Now

Home Live Chat

Photo of Michael Barasch.
Online Now

Hi, we are here to help if you have questions.