WHAT THE 9/11 COMMUNITY NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THE LAW
On December 18, 2015, Congress reauthorized and extended both the health program and compensation fund available to the 9/11 community. Downtown residents, office workers, students and teachers are all eligible if they were exposed on 9/11 or during parts of the 8 months that followed.
VICTIM COMPENSATION FUND (VCF)
- A total of $7.3 billion has been made available to fully compensate claimants who have pending claims, as well as future claimants diagnosed with certified WTC illnesses. Over $4 billion has been awarded to 22,000+ people.
- The VCF deadline is December 18, 2020.
- VCF claimants with pending claims, and those who have already received awards, have the right to “amend” their claims if their employment status changes as a result of their 9/11 illnesses and/or if they are diagnosed with new WTC-certified illnesses.
- All claims MUST be registered within 2 years of the date of certification by the World Trade Center Health Program.
- VCF awards range from $125,000-$340,000 for certified cancers, and more for economic loss if the claimant has been found disabled by a WTC illness.
- VCF awards range from $20,000-$90,000 for non-cancer certified illnesses.
- All VCF awards are tax free.
- Medical care for the 9/11 community has been extended 75 years.
- The 9/11 community has the right to free health care for WTC-certified illnesses from the WTC Health Program (which has clinics throughout the country).
- Make sure you take advantage of this free exam and go to your annual WTC physical.
- A skin cancer screening is not performed at the WTC Health Program physical; therefore, you should go for a full body skin exam at least once per year. Skin cancers are the most common WTC-related cancers.
MOST COMMON CANCERS AND NON-CANCER ILLNESSES LINKED TO THE WTC TOXINS
There is a presumption that these illnesses were caused by WTC toxic exposure:
- Skin Cancer (Basal Cell, Squamous Cell, and Melanoma)
- Prostate Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Blood Cancers, including Multiple Myeloma, Lymphoma, and Leukemia
- Lung Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Rare Cancers
- Interstitial Lung Diseases, including Pulmonary Fibrosis and Sarcoidosis
- Chronic Rhinosinusitis
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Sleep Apnea
- Chronic Respiratory Disorder – Fumes / Vapors
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Altogether, 68 cancers have been linked to the WTC toxins. If you have been diagnosed with a cancer that is not on the list, you may still be eligible. Our firm has been representing the 9/11 community since 2001. We will register you in the Health Program. Once certified, it almost always leads to compensation. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!
DOWNLOAD THE FLYER (.PDF) AND SHARE!